Monday, August 8, 2011

{{crew crew crew}}

Heh, I copied (sorta) the title from House...

Standard and Pro (S&P) dropped the US' credit rating from AAA to AA+. Which, I gather, is a very big deal. First time in US history. Wall Street is going down, and so are the stock markets in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Japan, and....eh, the world. Not that I understand much about this. I understand nothing about this at all, actually. Just thought y'all would like to know.

Here's how my brain's thought process ruined a whole night of sleep for me:

School starts in about 15 days. OH MY FRICKING GOODNESS, I'm going to be a sophomore. Not only will I be a sophomore,which is scary enough, I'll be taking sophomore classes (okay, so that's a given...but I'm sort of slow when it comes to connecting certain things with a big idea). This includes APUSH and AP Biology and 10 Advanced Math.

I've read my whole entire APUSH textbook and I'm halfway through the other book that the teachers assigned us (Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States). So I guess a part of me is sort of like, oh, it'll be fine. BUT IT WON'T BE, said another part of my brain. I call that part, Lynda the Pessimist. Now, Lynda the Pessimist (LP for short), is very rude. She pointed out that there's no way that I could possibly remember every part of my reading, and that I hadn't actually outlined everything, and that my memory pretty much sucks, and that I'm horrible with remembering dates (I've only recently gotten the year of the revolution ingrained into my head. 1776. Though, eh, the exact date of the Declaration of Independence eludes me...especially on the Fourth of July >.>), and that I'm also horrible with remembering important people (GEORGE WASHINGTON, people, is the only president (besides the current) that I remembered until about, what, 4th grade? *sigh*).

I really don't know why people I know think I'm smart. I'm really not.

Last year's Physics and Chemistry class did not make me feel in the least bit prepared for AP Biology. Seriously. I feel like a lot of my brain cells died in that class. No idea how I got an 'A'. No idea at all. AP Biology sounds like fun, but...I can't really dredge up enough knowledge to understand what Biology is...at least, not at the moment. *groan* AND it's a double period. Well, at least the labs are supposed to be fun.

AND MATH. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMFG OMFG...I love math...er, I mean, I love algebra. Why? Because I understand it. I just have to solve for x using my knowledge of equations and whatnot. But I do not understand Geometry. All those different ways to get to the answer! >.< I just hope there's a lot of algebra in our math class.

But those are the academics. I'm worried about the physical strains of sophomore year (er, not that the added homework will do well for my sleep deprivation problem (GREEK, ARGHH, GREEK...and it's confusing as heck. I suck at grammar, and that's all Greek is about...so far!). This brings me to my big old worry (and the title of my dearest post).

CREW.

Was that anticlimactic? Maybe.

I love crew. I just am a sucker for complaining about the horrible pain and weariness my body feels after practices and regattas. Blech. Sweat.

I've been running every Saturday with the crew team (okay, so only 4 people show up, but...meh), and good grief, that just shows me how totally not in shape I am. I've gotten better, but...OH THE PAIN.

Fall season is not filled with sprints. Nope. Spring season is sprints. Sprints are 2Ks...2000 meters. That's done in about, 7,8, or 9 minutes. FALL SEASON IS 50KS. THAT's that the number of words for NaNoWriMo. Now, imagine a meter per word, and there you have it. How far we row in the fall. THAT'S LIKE 20 SOMETHING MINUTES!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!
*clutches heart* I'm so going to die. I knew I should have been less lazy. Okay, so I'm at work the whole day, and I can't go to practices, but still. I'm going to die. Maybe not as much as some of the other people who haven't gone to a single practice...but, eh...

Not to mention I'm going to be VARSITY this year. Though, uh, in crew, you're only a novice for the first year on the water, and then you're...erm...I think JV until senior year, and seniors are Varsity...and in Shaker, we're all Varsity after freshmen year....BUT STILL, I'll be in a boat against VARSITY boats from other schools >.< eeep!

I'm still worried about making a fool of myself by falling in to the water or slipping on the docks, or dropping the super-expensive boat....

*sigh*

Well, on the bright side, we still have 15 more days of SUMMER to enjoy.

-Lynda

P.S. Do any of you guys know when we get our schedules? Do we get them during homeroom on the first day of school? If yes, is there a way to get them earlier?

5 comments:

  1. 1.) Lynda!!! You made me nervous now!!! D:
    1.5) Lucky fore you, math is all algebra this year (which is why it's called ALGEBRA 2).
    2.) We don't get our schedules (officially) until the first day of school but
    3.) tons of people already got them from their counselors (my mom keeps forgetting to ask) and
    4.) the second any of you (besides Virgil) gets her schedule, could you kindly share it on the Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Hahaha...sorry about making you nervous.
    1.5) THANK GOODNESS!
    2+3) Imma try that...
    4)absolutely. Same to you. MUST TELL ME....I'm so worried about being in a class all by myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I already kinda-know my schedule... but it's like not definite. I'll try to get it on the day of Freshman Orientation. Or maybe I'll just email my counselor.

    I'm SO WORRIED about being in a class without any friends. Especially Bio, because we'll probably have to pick lab partners and last year I didn't have any friends in my science class and when we had to pick partners IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you guys have ProgressBook passwords and whatnot, you can usually see your schedule a day or two before classes start. No guarantees, but that worked for me a couple times.

    ReplyDelete