Friday, July 8, 2011

my Asian supermarket is really rather sketchy.

I will be explaining the title (i.e., the sketchiness of my [and probably some other] Asian supermarkets) in more detail today, but first of all, I would like to joyously mention that MEDICAL CAMP IS OVER!

Medical camp wasn't event that bad, really, though I think it's more because the people there were really funny and nice and not so much the fact that I was really interested in any of the health careers (although dentistry or perhaps ophthalmology or even being a physician's assistant might be a choice for my future in case editing doesn't, like, turn out well [which it probably won't, as my mother is always quick to tell me]). Also, the food was pretty good, though we kind of degenerated into eating (relatively very good) sandwiches/boxed lunches for pretty much all of this week, since we were on field trips every day. And I managed to make one or two friends, which is nice.

So now I will move on from the subject of medical camp onto the subject of the sketchiness of Asian supermarket(s).

You see, my family gets most of its weekly food from, like, Costco/Giant Eagle/other American grocery stores, but every week, my parents will go to the Asian supermarket* to top up their supply of mysterious green Chinese vegetables (and also broccoli and bell peppers and things) and the like. At the particular Asian supermarket that they enjoy frequenting, there are quite a lot of strange things, e.g.:


-prawn chip things (not shrimp crackers; there is a vital difference, the difference being that shrimp crackers are actually tasty whereas these prawn crackers look suspiciously similar to brightly colored round bits of plastic and one could probably break one's teeth on them**)


-random flies flitting about the produce (sketchyyyyyy [and also unsanitary]!)


-weird packets of herbs/spices/soup seasonings labeled in about four different languages that are supposed to have some sort of beneficial effect but I have no idea what, given the fact that I only know English (and the English is nearly always translated badly) and a tiny, tiny bit of Chinese


-giant things called jackfruit (holy crap)


-two (admittedly rather short, but two) aisles full of junk food, which really isn't very sketchy, per se, but I thought I'd include this, because my eighth-grade cooking teacher was apparently under the delusion that Asian people had no such thing as snacks or junk food


Also, today I went with my mother to look for a house available for my mother's friend (who's coming to the US for two months) to rent; she apparently noted down the wrong address and so we started off in completely the wrong direction before finally finding the darn house. (Which is why this post is so late.)


Oh, and I also got myself a tumblr.


Bye.


xiy


EDIT: Oops, I forgot the footnotes.


*It's technically an Asian supermarket even though we call it a Chinese store, since half the stuff they sell is labeled in Japanese/Korean/what-I-think-might-be-Vietnamese/etc.


**They are, in that respect, very similar to Hagrid's cooking. :)

5 comments:

  1. Two brief comments:
    -Prawn chip crackers are frightening.
    -Our 8th-grade cooking teacher was under a LOT of delusions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^agreed. Oh, the memories. I wanna eat a jackfruit!!!! Actually, probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what does a jackfruit taste like???

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Virgil: I don't know, but inside it looks sort of like a giant pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. urgh...prawn chips. I'm allergic to them... like, I literally (lol, I just imagined a english accent with that word...'lit-ter-rawl-ly' eeeeeee) break out in red spots when I eat them...

    And I am /not/ like Momo and her kumquats. "ooh, my lips burn! BUT I'LL EAT MORE OF THESE FRUITS THAT I'M ALLERGIC TO!"

    ReplyDelete