Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 Review - Part 2

This post is a continuation of last week's post. If you didn't read it, please go here.

SO. I saw the film for a third time since I wrote Part One (the people running the mission trip decided to give us a break from the boiling hot sun & hard labor & sweat, so they took us to the only movie theater in the county where the water bottles cost like seven dollars) and this time it was in 3D.

Now, I should start off by saying that I don't like 3D movies in general. The 3D-ness always seems to pull me away from the movie itself, because there are certain bits that are more noticeably 3D than others. This was exactly the problem that I had with the 3D version of Harry Potter - it just takes away from the *escaping* aspect of watching the movie. There were also green-screen effect bits that seemed to be much more obvious because of the way the 3D had been shot. Also, those glasses are annoying, especially when you have to put them over actual glasses. 

Overall, the 3D was pretty well-done, but I liked the 2D version better.

Moving on with the actual review.... I left off in Gringotts. The escape scene was cool (great music!) and I loved the shots of the expressions on the goblins' faces as the dragon crashed straight through the lobby. The thing with the chandelier shaking right before all hell breaks loose - what a classic Harry Potter scene! That scene gets an A+ :)



The flash-vision Voldemort/Horcruxes bit while Harry was in the water - that was nice put together. It gave all of the necessary information without over-explaining things. It was weird how after they jumped in the water and swam to shore, they felt the need to walk all the way up the hill before they started changing clothes. That whole scene was so awkward! Shirtless!Rupert was a nice treat, but he and Dan spent ages struggling with those sweaters, and it was awkward how Hermione didn't put on dry clothes. I realize that nudity isn't allowed in PG-13 movies, but she could have at least put on a dry jumper or something. OR they could have just used that Air-dry charm that Dumbledore does to dry off Harry's clothes in the sixth book.  











The Caterwauling Charm when they Apparate into Hogsmeade was well-done. I liked the way Aberforth was first introduced - you could hardly see him there in the doorway - and then you find out who he is, and he goes into his "don't trust Albus" rant. It kind of bothered me how resiliently trustful of Dumbledore Harry seemed throughout both movies. He has serious doubt in the book, but I guess they just didn't have time to insert the entire subplot into the movie. Still, there was a short time on July 21, 2007 when I think every Harry Potter fan doubted his or her own trust in Albus Dumbledore, and that feeling just wasn't replicated on screen.

They didn't go into as much detail with the Dumbledores' story as I would have liked, but Ariana's portrait was nicely done. Then... NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM! This is the part when the movie starts being amazing: the moment Matthew Lewis walks on screen. HE'S MY HERO. I love how he leads them up to the Room of Requirement, says a little something, and then just steps aside with a smug look on his face to reveal Harry Potter. Lightning has struck! I repeat, lightning has struck! That line made me laugh.



I'm SO SORRY I couldn't finish this review in two parts, because I have to hop on a plane soon. This will automatically post tomorrow, and then I'm not sure if I'll be able to write a post next week, but I'll definitely finish my review when I get back. 


Love,
Virgil

2 comments:

  1. My only slightly nitpicky bit about the meeting-Aberforth scene was that I would really have loved to see his goat Patronus. ^.^

    . . . This is going to be a very long review, isn't it?

    Have fun in Scottishland! <3

    ReplyDelete