Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I am a nerd, but I need to practice!

I plan to write an alternate ending
For the play Romeo and Juliet,
So I must practice writing in meter.

I am not good at writing in meters,
I can hardly make a decent haiku.
But forsooth! This post will hence be written
In iambic pentameter, like so.
(Omitting those certain stressed syllables 
Of course, because they are such a hassle,
And Shakespeare doesn't always adhere thus.)


I think that this meter is so oft' used
Because humans have ten fingers, not nine
Or eight or fourteen or seventy-two - 
Ten have we, and so we count in base ten
And write in iambic pentameter.

The music of the moment is pleasant,
Or rather, that is, peasant not pleasant;
It is Poet and Peasant Overture!
Which we hath sight-read in Wind Ensemble,
Much to my utter excitement inside
(Though not expressed outwardly at the time,
For fear I would be singled out by he,
Who is the most fearsome band director
In the kingdom, or at least in the state.)
 I love Poet and Peasant Overture;
It features in a cartoon of my youth
Which is called Hep Cat Symphony, behold: 
What a wonder that this film which I loved
Contained so much great classical music,
Which I have later grown to greatly love!

And now, moving onto relevant things
(Perhaps sealing wax, cabbages, and kings?)
No, I chide, I was merely making rhyme
(Yet Wonderland is always relevant!) 
Banqueto is tomorrow, I can't wait! 
We are slaves to the elders, oh such joy!
It will be fun, in spite of our bondage
For I am sure that the feast will be grand!


This gets easy as I keep going on,
Although I still must count on my fingers,
It is somehow becoming rather fun.
And though I wish to revert to normal,
I seem to be unable to stop this
Madness, forever I shall always write 
Alas, in iambic pentameter. 


I believe I am done here. This was fun!
DFTBA, with love from Virgil. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh Virgil. I admire your dedication. ^.^ How long did that take to write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God.
    You are SUCH a nerd! And I love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good nerd!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually didn't take that long :) maybe like fifteen minutes? I just counted on my fingers the whole time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *laughs* i sooo would have done this :)

    ReplyDelete