Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CPR, electric fencing, and (nearly) falling asleep in math class

Such was my life today (actually, the [nearly] falling asleep in math class bit was from yesterday; more on that later).

My gym class is learning CPR currently, and so we practiced compressions on these rubber-plastic mannequin-dummy-things during today's class period. It's not too difficult, but the dummies are so creepy. Their mouths are shaped like perfect Os, and the empty space of the mouth doesn't quite match up to the lines of the lips. You can see right down their (hypothetical) throats, and it looks like they're either singing extremely off-key or screaming. And then, when one does the 'head-tilt, chin-lift' maneuver, there's a gap between the dummy's head and neck, so it looks like they've got a hole in their neck. Also, the nostrils are blocked (apparently they didn't bother cutting out the nostrils), so one gets a beautiful view of those when one performs the aforementioned maneuver. Ugh. ._.


Virgil and I went to fencing today; thankfully, it wasn't too crowded. We even managed to get relatively well-fitting chest protectors, which is always a nice thing. Anyway, the point is that the coach persuaded us (read: told us, "Okay, here you go; hook yourself up to the apparatus and go fence electronically!") to do electric fencing. So we did (not like there was much of a choice). This was my second time, and so I actually had somewhat of an enjoyable experience. At least I knew where to put all the various wires and plugs and things.


Y'know what sounds really, really cool? Saying, "I'm doing trig[onometry]*!" Yeaaah. It sounds so very cool and nerdy and awesome.
So math class recently has been devoted to (very, very basic) right-triangle trigonometry--in particular, sine, cosine, and tangents of various angles/etc. So now I actually understand what those SIN, COS, and TAN buttons mean, which is good. It's not so mysterious anymore.
The problem is that the math teacher tends to get a bit long-winded in her explanations and sample problems, and so yesterday's class was mostly spent in a partial stupor and a flurry of doodling in the back of my geometry notebook. I shall leave you with the fruits of my labor (what an odd phrase) to conclude this post:


Virgil, (almost) sleeping. She sits in the desk diagonally in front of mine, and so is the perfect subject for math-class doodles. :D

And the color version!


xiy

*Apparently, the '-onometry' bit is not crucial to the name. "I'm doing trig" has just as much effect as "I'm doing trigonometry," though one could argue that the former sounds cooler because it mentions such a difficult subject in such a casual way.

2 comments:

  1. The picture looks so good in color!!!

    P.S. At the fencing tournament, it was all electric (of course) and the machines all beeped at different pitches and it was very painfully annoying. I also suck at attaching the wires in a reasonable time...I like it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't just *almost* sleeping, hehe. I actually had a dream, it was weird... and then I woke up and I was in math class.
    O.o

    ReplyDelete