Friday, February 4, 2011

clarifications

Wassup.

So. It has come to my attention this week that there are a few basic things that I thought, like, a ton of people know. But apparently not a ton of people know these things, since I've noticed more than a ton of people get these things rather wrong this week.


1) Our pretty picture.
If you're looking at the banner that is up ^there right now (February 4th, 2011), you'll see a prettyful banner with six figures against a sky with nice-looking text beneath them and four little doodles under the text. This was drawn recently by our very own xiy. The figures (from left to right) are Virgil, me, xiy, Momo, Carrie, and Lynda. Take note of the intentional "beauty mark" on Lynda's cheek. "Six Little Curly Fries" is the name we've given our little clique-thing. "I reject your reality and substitute my own" is a famous quote among all of us nerds that was said by Adam Savage, a most beastly MythBuster. We've adapted the quote to fit nicely with our blog. The doodles at the bottom are as follows, again left to right: Hector the unicorn, curly fries and sparkling grape juice[/wine], Archie the sheep, and my purple dinosaur (Kitty) that Momo kindly acquired for me.

[Thank goodness we've gotten that figured out.]


2) PLEASE and THANK YOU and EXCUSE ME
Proper manners. Come on, people.
I'm not asking y'all to attend tea every afternoon on the freakin dot. I'm not making you wear petticoats or suspenders or  sunbonnets to protect your delicate complexion. No, I just would love it if I could remind you for a second to remember the basic manners you learned in pre-school/kindergarten/goodness forbid at home.

-Grabbing is generally not acceptable except for dire situations. For example, if there is a small duckling about to be hit by an oncoming train that has been overtaken by death eaters, then you don't need to ask the duckling for permission before you save its precious, fuzzy life. In most all other cases, please say "please." It makes one sound far less greedy than one who says "gimme."

-When you're the one who's been fortunate enough to have been helped out by someone with a kind heart, it is best to show your appreciation by saying "thank you," "thanks," or something of the sort. By doing so, you make yourself seem far less of a butt and a little more like someone worth helping out again sometime in the future. (You're welcome.)

-Excuse me. There are many cases in which it would be appropriate to excuse yourself, but let's focus on just one fun scenario. Say you're sitting at a table with a few friends. You've been drinking a lot of soda, and your tummy's gurgling a little bit. Suddenly, you feel it. And there ain't no stopping you now. You belch. And boy, that was really frikkin loud.
Now what do you do? Well, the person I'd most likely be willing to ever dine with again would excuse themselves. "Excuse me," "pardon," and "sorry," are all acceptable. Might I note here that merely giggling at the brilliant-sounding fanfare you've just produced is... no.


3) Egypt.
Egypt? Like, with the pyramids? Isn't there, like, stuff going on there? Yes, Egypt-with-the-pyramids. And yes, they're dealing with quite a bit at the moment. If you're asking—and I dearly hope you're not—what Egypt's dealing with [since you haven't heard anything and lolz was totally right about the pyramids, score!, and wait wait wait I thinkkkkk something on the news but then, like, it was boring so you flipped back to 16 and Pregnant for a daily dose of schadenfreude*], then I would highly recommend that you to do a Google search on Egypt. Or ask a buddy. Or something. Just don't be like so many of sunshiney children at my school who have absolutely no frikkin idea what.so.ever.


*deep breath*
that's all for today, darling. If you were already nice and updated on these three things, I apologise. But ohmygoodness they have been bugging me all week long.

With all due respect,
House


*hahahahaha I totally spelled that right on the first try. winner.

5 comments:

  1. I quite like these rants of yours; they are very educational (though, of course, Lynda's are far more entertaining |D). I shall take your advice to heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that whole bit about politeness. I can't wait to see you live that advice at home too!

    House's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the spelling, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! A new commenter!! I just want to point out a few things:
    1. 2 of the 4 doodles at the bottom were inspired by your truly. (I s'pose the wine/ sparkling cider could be of my influence in a way...)
    2. I am a master of belching and I ALWAYS say thank you.
    3. Schadenfreude is German and technically that is the plural.
    4. For more info. on Egypt, go to YouTube to this URL: http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/3/Pn9x4LCQ5I0
    5.House's Dad: You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Momo -
    that's a person we know in real life...

    ReplyDelete