Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Last Tuesday of September!

I notice, upon looking this over, that this post seems a bit overreactory and giant-squid-of-anger-like. Perhaps I went a little overboard with all the bold and CAPS LOCK OF DOOM. . .?
Ah, well. You have been warned; the following post may be a bit bratty.
Tomorrow is Carrie's birthday!  :D It's going to be totally awesome, you know. I'm currently making the banner with a combination of Gimp and Picnik; it's quite nice.

I now have completely given up on science class, at least for the time being. For the past week, we've been doing endless significant figure, scientific notation, and factor label "practice problems" that are all annoying, badly formatted ("I forgot to make those exponents superscripted," my science teacher says when faced with a problem like "7.9x10-4," which, as you can see, is an entirely different problem without the frikkin' superscript), and all-around tiresome and stupid.
The last problem of yesterday's homework was a problem in which one had to somehow convert pounds-per-inch-cubed into grams-per-milliliter. The problem did not specifically say that it applied to water (which is the only instance I know of right now for which converting between inches cubed and milliliters is possible). Oh, no. Instead, it only said "an object."
Now, one is OBVIOUSLY not allowed to assume that the object whose density is being measured is water; that would be an incorrect assumption in most cases. In fact, the most recent lab my class did completely and utterly FAILED because practically everybody just assumed that mass=volume (like it does for water at certain temperatures). So their densities were all one, and it was ridiculous.
Of course, that fact seems to have ENTIRELY ESCAPED my dear science teacher, who, when asked how to do the problem (my classmates, apparently, have grown some sense and did not assume that the problem was talking about water), just said, "Oh, yeah, the problem was talking about water. After all, that's the only way you can solve it."


Right.
Right.
Please excuse me for a moment, while I go and scream out my frustration.


YOU CANNOT JUST ASSUME STUFF IN SCIENCE! IF THE PROBLEM DOES NOT EXPLICITLY SAY "WATER," TEACHER, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EFFIN' ASSUME ANYTHING! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGH! D:<


Obviously, I need to go scream some more. And maybe swear a bit while I'm at it.


So, yeah. My science teacher is annoying, and I seriously cannot imagine spending another eight and a half months with her.
>.<


That's all I have to say. Lynda's usually the ranter, but I needed to blow off steam.


xiy

8 comments:

  1. *Gasp* xiy??? Swearing?!?!?!?!

    [p.s. we should title Carrie's b-day pic {which, uh, totally isn't up.... shh, don't look, Carrie!} "xiy discovers the magic of photo editing"]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, xiy. You make me laugh. I think maybe you should take over the class. Sweet I'm in a hang glider!!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. woww, gurrrl. chill.

    teehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psh. I don't need to chill; what are you talking about? xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the cute little "c" cursor? It was under the "cute" category...teehee.

    now that xiy ranted, it's my turn. WHY IS THERE NO BIRTHDAY BACKGROUNDS????WHY??? SHOULDN'T IT BE LIKE, THE MOST ABUNDANT ONE??? GOOD GRIEF! IT TOOK ME ABOUT 2 FRICKIN' HOURS TO FIND A BACKGROUND, but...NOOO THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE HTML CODE, YOU HAD TO EMAIL THEM TO LET HER KNOW THAT "you were borrowing my background*giggle like a prissy prat*" ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
    Oh well, at least the cursor works (even with the new background from outside blogger! YES!) I wonder who's going to do the technical decorations for my b-day...Hmmm...
    LIke the cursor+background(you had better, it took me FOREVER)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. To convert from pounds per cubic inch to grams per milliliter shouldn't require that you know what the object is. You just need to know the conversion between pounds and grams and the conversion between inches and millimeters.

    Best,

    House's dad (whose birthday is also today)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, the entire problem is complete nonsense because pounds are not a unit of mass: they're a unit of force. So, in fact the problem is asking you to convert between force-per-volume (which is either a bulk modulus or a pressure-equivalent in a four dimensional system---then again, it is impossible to confine objects in four dimensions and only confined fluids can exert pressure, so never mind on that last one) and mass-per-volume. Finally, no real scientist ever uses pounds-per-cubic-inch so you would never have to know how to convert either to or from that dimensional set.

    ReplyDelete