Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Post #102

Hi! Hi! Hi! :D
I had a most wonderful birthday on Saturday, courtesy of the Curly Fries. Thank you all, for coming and making it awesome!


Anyway, today, I would like to talk about. . . Hrm. I'm actually not quite sure what I'm going to talk about.
Well, for one, school starts in exactly a week. There goes summer. It's been a really great vacation this year; summer didn't pass too quickly, which is good.
I've also been writing the sequel to my NaNoWriMo novel, since it's not November yet so I can't actually write the first book. It's been going quite swimmingly. I am a very mean author. I like heaping misfortune on the characters; it's fun. ^.^
(House and Carrie, you two should totally do NaNo! It'll be fun!)


Also, I finally finished The Silmarillion yesterday. For those who don't know, The Silmarillion is, like, the prequel to Lord of the Rings. It tells about the stuff that happened in Middle-Earth in (mostly) the First Age, with a bit about the Second Age and then a summary of the Third Age (and it very, very briefly goes through the events of LotR at the very end). You don't necessarily even have to read LotR to understand any of the stuff in the Silmarillion, since it's a prequel.
After reading it, I've got, like, a much better idea of what the heck happened in LotR; before, I was just like, "Okay, who is this person?!"
The one bad part is that practically all the main characters die in it, which really sucks. 
There's also this fanfiction called "The Silmarillion Gospel," by Araloth the Random. It's what would happen if the Silmarillion (which is already written like a myth) was turned into Biblical English by a bunch of fangirls. It's hilarious, and one of the rather few good fics on ff.net. Go read it! You won't regret it, I promise.
I recommend this book for Book Club. It's a bit confusing at the beginning, but it's really, really good by the end.
Please? :3


That's more or less it for today, the 102nd post.
(Oh, and there's going to be a 6LCF all-nighter on Friday! Woot!)


~xiy



2 comments:

  1. If we don't choose any other book, I guess that sounds good. (as long as it isn't more than 700 pages, I can't handle that in summer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually a really long book. . . Lemme check.
    The paperback edition is about 300 pages, not counting the appendix/index. The text size is a bit small, though.
    The Silmarillion is kind of boring at the beginning, but it gets better.

    ReplyDelete