Saturday, July 3, 2010

*Giggles Mischievously*

Happy 3rd of July!!!!
...wait, what? 
Indeed, it has always irked me how people refer to American Independence Day as "The Fourth of July." It's kind of weird when you think about it in the context of other holidays.

"So what'd you get for the twenty-fifth of December?"
"Dobby knitted me some mismatching socks, one with a pattern of Snitches and the other with a pattern of broomsticks. You?"
"Ugh, every twenty-fifth of December it's the same maroon sweater... hey, d'you think Dobby would like it?"


See?

Ahh, I feel so refreshed today. I couldn't sleep last night (I was too excited about the release of the very first Deathly Hallows movie poster - which is bloody amazing, I might add. It looks eerily similarly to the poster for Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, only instead of Hogwarts looking all serene and magical, it's on fire and in shambles.) so finally, after about two hours of being frustrated with myself for my insomnia, I decided that I'd read a bit of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (That's where I currently am in my eternal cycle of rereading the series.) 

Oh, the nostalgia. I haven't read Book Four in so long, I had forgotten how epic it is. AND I noticed things that I don't recall noticing before. After the Yule Ball, couples giggling behind rosebushes? Snape busting them and taking points away from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw? Now THAT completely went over my head the last time I read it. The beetle that Harry sees is most obviously Rita Skeeter - now I feel extremely slow that I haven't caught on until now. The "Uranus" jokes in Divination had never before made sense to me. I think that Book Four was the one that the films got most wrong, because honestly, I was halfway through the book and I thought to myself, "Hmm, this bit is only about twenty minutes into the movie..." They skip the lovely antics that happen between the start-of-term feast and the arrival of the foreign guests. Who wouldn't love to watch students squeeze the pus from Bubotubers (a cure for more stubborn forms of acne - and I'm sure it has less side-effects than the pills I'm on) and I've always wanted to see how the films would portray a Blast-Ended Skrewt. Anyways, as I observed the very last vestiges of non-angsty Harry fade into the past, never to return, an idea suddenly struck me. 

I should just stay up all night.

You see, I've been on quite a ridiculous sleeping schedule all week - staying up until 1:00 am and sleeping until noon. I knew that I would have to get to sleep early on Saturday night (tonight) in order to get up early on Sunday morning, which is when I leave for Harlan. (Harlan is the place in Kentucky where the mission trip from my church will be building houses. When referring to the trip, people usually just say "oh, I'm excited for Harlan!") 

I figured that if I deprived myself of sleep, I'd be able to get to sleep earlier tonight, therefore... I dunno. My reasoning isn't very good at three in the morning. Whatever the reason, I stayed up literally all night reading Harry Potter... and I'm not tired. I feel exhilarated. I'm going to Hogwarts in less than two weeks. I'm going. It's been nearly three years overdue, but I don't even care. Pass the butterbeer. 

(I haven't told my parents about my all-nighter, so sshhhh!!!) 


Um... in other news, Serena Williams won the women's (um, Firefox? Yeah, "women's" is definitely a word...) final in Wimbledon, but Murray lost in the semis to Nadal, and none of you care about tennis, do you?
Speaking of tennis, I got a new tennis racket yesterday, and I named her Rafa. She's fantastic XD

Questions...
1) When was the last time you reread a Harry Potter book?
2) Have you seen the movie poster yet?
3) Are you as excited as I am? (The correct answer is "no")
4) Are you already working on getting your parents to let you go see the midnight premiere of Part 1, even though it's on a school night?
5) Can you tell that I have somewhat of a one-track mind at the moment?
6) Who's your favourite Harry Potter character?
7) Which is your favourite Harry Potter book?

8) Favourite Harry Potter movie (mine is Part 2 of Deathly Hallows, and yes, I acknowledge that it doesn't come out for a year)?
An extra-special bonus question for House: have you finished editing the Prologue yet? Virgil is getting impatient >.<


DFTBA,
PDBAZ,
Peace, Love, & Otters,


Virgil

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... you're gonna hate me so much, Virgil, but most of my answers to your questions are going to be the same! Although, I loved your post. :)
    1)I've never ever read a Harry Potter book, but it is indeed on my list of things to do.
    2)Ah, I have not... but I'd really like to.
    3)probably not.
    4)hehehe I'd like that...
    5)Indeed, I can, but that's ok.
    6)In all of my knowledge about HP, I'm gonna have to say a mix between Hermione, Ron, and Luna.
    7)Ah, I have not read them yet.
    8)My favourite movie was probably... Prisoner of Azkaban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I could never pull an all-nighter. I'm one of those lame going-to-bed-relatively-early types. XD

    1) Not very long ago. Less than a month, definitely. HP6, it was (even though Dumbledore dies, it's somehow one of my favorites, right after HP3).
    2) No, but it sounds great.
    3) No. >.>
    4) No; however, that sounds like loads of fun.
    5) Haha, yeah. But I like your one-track mind. :)
    6) Hrm... I like Tonks, and Hermione, and Lupin, and Luna, and Neville, and the twins... I've always thought that "Ginny" is an awesome name, though Ginny as a character is kind of so-so for me.
    7) HP3 and HP6 sort of tie.
    8) I liked the first one; I haven't seen the second in a really long time; the third one cut too much out; the fourth was okay but also took out some of my favorite parts (Ton-Tongue Toffee!); the fifth was meh-y; the sixth was all right. So I don't really know. I suppose one of the earlier ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Y'all can guess who I am...by the b-day reminder" sheJuly 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

    1.This second
    2.No
    3.MORE THAN YOU. It's on MY b-day!!
    4.Well...It's my birthday, on a FRIDAY. So...probably, they'll say yes. I'll invite y'all. But y'all are gonna pay the ticket yourself...ok?
    5.Yes
    6.I loooooove Bellatrix and Narcissa
    7. HP 1. I keep finding things I never noticed b4.
    8. HP 7 pt 1 (I'd pick pt 2, but 1) it's not coming out on my b-day, 2) it's gonna make me feel sad, cuz it's the last one

    ReplyDelete
  4. But since it's coming out on a Friday, dear Lynda, the midnight premiere would technically be Thursday night, and that's a school night. Hence, my mum's objection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lolz, I stayed up all night once. It kinda sucked the next day, but I was with my favourite person in the world the next day, which made it significantly better. (12:00- Hm... 4:00- Why am I still up? 5:30- Screw it. *Turns on iPod just about as far as it can go*)

    1) Er.... -skip- (It's been a while.)
    2) No, but it sounds wicked.
    3) ... no...?
    4) Not a lot, but i plan to up the begging pretty soon.
    5) Haha, I've known you long enough to pick up on that kinda fast.
    6) McGonagall. Hands down. I used to like Lupin best, but then... well, him and/or Tonks come as a really close second.
    7) First.
    8) Uh... idc.
    AH I FEEL SO SPECIAL!!!!) Yeah, I have. But I'm here @ my supa swag summer house [... it's late.], so I don't have a, like, word-by-word-grammar-perfected copy. My advice: Good style and stuff, nice start. Make sure you, like, have the plot laid out; you could either, like, /go/ somewhere, or totally kinda ramble and have lots of little crap dead end-ing subplots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. h (Haha wow, I'm lazy)July 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM

    Post scriptum:
    I was watching fireworks tonight, and there was this little show going off in the distance. The fireworks were alternating green and red. My friend was like, "Oh, no, [House]! There might be a wizard in danger!!" And I was like, "... have I ever told you that you're really awesome?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everybody!!!! I got 10 minutes on the computer today and I was able to come here. I didn't read the post, but I wanted to say "Hi". I miss you guys a lot!!!! See you in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Momo: Yay! You're back (for a bit)! ^.^ I've missed you a lot too. Continue to have fun at camp. :)

    ReplyDelete