Friday, May 28, 2010

Bottle Rockets Go "FWOOOOSSHHH" ^_^

"In headaches and in worry/Vaguely life leaks away,/And Time will have his fancy/To-morrow or to-day." —As I Walked Out One Evening by W. H. Auden

(^Hah! I remembered a title this time ^_^ [A few hours later: Frick, frick, frick... forgot tags, didn't I.... >.< )

First and foremost, I would like to tell you about the charity that I will be supporting on this lovely, happy, sunny May afternoon.  This charity, SOS Children's Villages (http://www.sos-usa.org), is pretty awesome, which is why I chose it to support for my Week of Awesome charity.  What SOS does is help orphaned children, abandoned children, and children whose families are unable to care for them around the world.  SOS helps them grow up in a good and healthy environment where the children can interact with other children their age.  They are raised based on four principles, my favourite of which are numbers one and four. (1: Each child needs a mother; 4: Each child grows up within a supportive village environment.)  My favourite thing about this charity is that they do not try to isolate the villages from the communities surrounding them; they let the children interact and play with people outside of the villages just as you would do in your own neighbourhood.  If you want any more information, it is available at their site, which I have linked above.

And now I am going to ask a few questions ^_^ (Even though I'm not the youngest and it's not Passover....)
1) Where is the dividing line between funny and sad?  I ask this because today in class, a few kids were discussing funny/ironic ways to die.  (One example: A man is *really* drunk and wants to go bungee jumping, so he climbs up to the top of a cell phone tower.  However, he didn't bother to correctly measure out his rope, so he jumps, plummets, and splats rather impressively.)  It was odd to see how the entire group of six kids would laugh at some stories, but would then be silent after hearing others.
2) Who likes sock puppets? ^_^
3) What is your favourite movie you watched when you were a child? (*Cough* Hello Kitty or Lion King *Cough*)
4) What are the rules for wishing at 11:11/any other time when the digits all match nice and lovely, on a birthday cake's candle(s), or/and on a star? (Like, things such as if you can change your wish, if you can tell people a hint/vague subject about your wish [but not the actual context], etc.)

Today, we were shooting off bottle rockets in science.  It was totally wicked ^_^ (We made these rockets by cutting up two 2-litre bottles, putting nose cones and fins and things on them, filling up the bottom half with water, pumping air into the bottle, then quickly letting the air and water escape, causing the bottle to shoot up impressively or not-so impressively into the air.)  There was a bus parked rather close to the field we were shooting the bottle rockets up from, and whenever a rocket would fly close to the bus, we would all start kinda hoping for the bottle rocket to crash fantastically into the bus ^_^ (Alas, none of them did, though one girl's got stuck on the roof of one of the nearby wings.)

We [Carrie, Momo, Virgil, and I {Lynda and xiy take French}] took the second half of our Latin finals today.  *Crosses fingers* Hopefully, we did well ^_^

Today, I learned that long hugs > short hugs.  (I know we are not required anymore to say something we have learned, but I still kinda like it.  Though asking questions is fun ^_^)

I do hope your day went well.

With all due respect,
House

(from xiy: heehee, I do like the English spellings. They're so much cooler than American spellings. XD)



xoxoxoxo
6LCF

11 comments:

  1. :) I agree with your "Today, I learned...". Long hugs will always be greater than short hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I'm not sure. I think Roald Dahl, or some other famous awesome person, said once that if you see somebody slide onto a banana peel in the middle of a sidewalk and fall, it's funny. But then, if it turns out that the person cracked their skull and might die, it's not nearly as funny (unless you're, like, a sadist) anymore.
    2) ME! :D
    3) Well, I never saw Hello Kitty, and Mufasa's death scene scared me to death when I was little (I was a REALLY cowardly child...). @.@ But I liked the rest of Lion King, so, yeah, Lion King. Though I like pretty much every Disney movie 'cept Peter Pan, since I read the unabridged book when I was younger and the Disney movie wasn't like the book at all.
    4) You're not supposed to tell anyone your wish, and you only get one wish. I think. I really don't know.
    (And I personally always thought that bottle rockets went "shoooooomsssshhhhhh" [the *ssssshhh* bit is the water vapor escaping after it gets up high], but that's just my opinion XP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post there, House! I bet you failed the final. JK :) Also, did you discover this "hug fact" from a certain E.Z.(pronounced "easy")?
    1.) Because you didn't suffer so it's sort of from relief...? It could also be the face/sound/position that the victim lands in.
    2.) I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO!
    3.)I also never saw Hello Kitty and Lion King is amazing. I still get scared when Mufasa dies...but whatever. When I was a kid, Madeline (the cartoon version that was just like the pictures from the book) was my favourite movie. My parents used to read me the stories and I would memorize them. :)
    4.)One wish. Can't tell it. Can't wish it again. Can't be something completely unreasonable. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @xiy: My computer's got British Spell Check on it, so it's become a habit of sorts ^_^ (4: Yeah, that's probably a lot more accurate. At first, I had "KAPOOOSH," but then I was like, "No, wait... that's something blowing up. And that's not /quite/ what happened ^_^") <3 the edits, btw.

    @Momo: Mayybeeee. (And don't call that person that.) 3: Dude, Madeline was such a beast. Loved those ^_^ 4: Oh... I've been wishing for the same one for, like, a long time... *Shifty eyes* (Is there, like, an official rule book? That'd be legit.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure about that one question... one choice was "dative w/ appropinquo" and the other was "dative w/ intransitive verb" and I was like, whatthefudge I thought appropinquo /was/ and intransitive verb. Ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said "Dative with appropinquo", but that stumped me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @House's edit: Haha, you did forget the tags. But I put 'em in for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Dative with appropinquo." (And I thought the other choice said "impersonal verb"? [Which would be, like, "necesse est" or "licet."])

    @xiy: Haha, thank you ^_^ <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. *pointedly ignores all the Latin talk*
    ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  10. @H: no I think it said intransitive not impersonal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @V: That would make sense, then. Because I kinda just ignored that choice because I couldn't figure out how that would work.... (don't worry. You got ≥ 99%.)

    @xiy: Latinnnn <3

    ReplyDelete