Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blue Laws

Whoa... This new posting thing is so cool...wow...
*ahem* Anyway, today's the first day of the first official Six Little Curly Fries theme week! From an agreement reached in the comments section of the previous post, the curly fries have decided to tell you wonderful readers about blue laws this week. So go get your food and drink from the Tower (look, it's a lovely neon black color today!), and sit down and listen to me ramble on.
So. A "blue law" is a law generally found in the United States that were originally supposed to enforce various religious standards; most of them were about alcohol and Sundays, though not necessarily together. Some say that blue laws are called blue laws because they were originally printed on blue paper. However, that has never been proven. Most blue laws have been declared unconstitutional or just left unenforced.
...Hmm. I just Googled "blue laws," and apparently a real blue law is just any law regarding drinking/gossiping/"sinful" behavior done on Sundays, though my US History teacher said that a "blue law" is just any unenforced silly law. So, in order to keep you readers interested, I will go with the latter definition (if you want to hear about the colonial blue laws and/or legal drinking times, or just background stuff on *real blue laws*, please leave a comment and I or another curly fry will do a post on it).
Y'know what? Just to clear up confusion, we could call these laws "silly laws." Whether they're *blue* or not, they're still funny and interesting, and I'm all about keeping you guys interested (whether I do a good job is another matter entirely). People, please vote on the naming--should we stick with "blue laws," or change it to "silly laws"?
[Basically, that last paragraph was a disclaimer; I don't want people--i.e., legal buffs--telling me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Maybe I do, maybe I don't; the laws are still real, even if they're not blue laws.]
Here goes:
1) In Maine, a law says that people are required to take shotguns to church in case of a Native American attack.
2) In Watersboro, Maine, it is illegal to have a dog leash over eight feet long.
3) Men with shaved chests are not allowed to run around in Omaha, Nebraska.
4) In Colorado, one is not allowed to mutilate a rock in a state park.
5) Throwing missiles at cars is illegal in Alamosa, Colorado (gee, I never knew that!).
6) Women must get permission from their husbands in order to wear false teeth in Vermont.
7) It is also illegal in Vermont to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
8) In Akron, Ohio, it is illegal to sell colored chickens.
9) In Indiana, the value of pi is, by law, 3.
10) In Florida, if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

I think ten laws is enough for one day. Don't worry; Carrie, Lynda, House, Virgil, and Momo will all be posting blue/silly laws for you wonderful readers.


Lastly, I would like to end with a poem. It is "Ode," by Arthur O'Shaughnessy, and it's probably (1) the most epic poem ever, (2) one of the few pieces of poetry I really, really love, (3) EPICNESS INCARNATE, and (4) Just awesome.
If you hate the poem, it's okay; I'll accept that. I like to think of myself as very open to people's opinions. ^.^
Oh, and by the way, apparently there is an abridged version of the poem (three stanzas) and then there's the entire poem (nine stanzas). I'll just be posting the abridged one because I don't want this post to be too long; it's long enough already.

Ode
Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamer of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

With wonderful deathless ditties,
We build up the world's great cities,
And out of a fabulous story
We fashion an empire's glory:
One man with a dream, at pleasure,
Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
And three with a new song's measure
Can trample an empire down.

We, in the ages lying
In the buried past of earth,
Built Nineveh with our sighing,
And Babel itself with our mirth;
And o'erthrew them with prophesying
To the old of the new world's worth;
For each age is a dream that is dying,
Or one that is coming to birth. 


See you guys next week!
-xiy

4 comments:

  1. Those are good laws!!! Man, that's the last time I'll tie my elephant to a parking meter! Great post!

    P.S. @xiy, I fixed it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Define the "mutilating" of a rock...? *Shifty eyes*
    Hah, loved the poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda said...
    I loved the post! I especially enjoyed: men can't run around with shaved chests. hahahah!!! Anyways, will someone please explain to me what the heck the "new posting" thing is about? I read it from Kerstin's post that you can highlight and strike out....but whaaat?

    ReplyDelete