Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Tuesday!!!! (I'm Old Gregg!!!)

<< VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE THAT ALSO INVOLVES BOOKS!!! 
JOHN GREEN HAS ANNOUNCED THE TITLE OF HIS NEW NOVEL, "THE FAULT IN OUR STARS"!!!! 
AND HE'S SIGNING ALL OF THE PREORDER COPIES!!! 
I MADE A COVER AND POSTED IT IN YOUR PANTS, HERE IT IS:




 THAT IS ALL. CONTINUE READING THE POST AS USUAL.

Today, I am going to talk about books. But before I do that, I have to get something off my chest. 

16 DAYS UNTIL HARRY POTTER
**HYPERVENTILATES**
OH MY ROWLING
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN
HARRY POTTER SHALL NEVER ENDDD
**dies**

Okay, okay. I'll try to breathe normally. But while I'm on the topic of OMG HARRY POTTER, I'm going to talk about Pottermore. OH WAIT. There isn't anything to talk about because nobody has any idea what Pottermore is!! Grrr >.< That announcement video was so vague. She just went up and was like, "This is going to be a brand-new online experience internet thingy that has something to do with the eBooks and you're all going to love it and OMG LOOK THERE'S AN OWL GO FOLLOW IT!!!" I'm not saying that I'm not excited to find out more, because I'm really pumped for whatever Jo is throwing at us. I'm just annoyed because the way it's presented, it makes it look like the whole thing is explained, when really it just raises more questions about what this thing really is. 
I just hope it doesn't cost money. 

Go watch Alex Day's video "What the f-ck is Pottermore?" on YouTube. He agrees with me. 

Okay, now I'll move onto the actual post. First things first: theme song time!! 
La la la la, la la la la, Virgil's world! La la la la, la la la la, Virgil's world! Virgil loves Reading Camp, and APUSH too! That's Virgil's worrrllddd!!! 


I have a lot to talk about, but all of the various subjects are related because they all involve BOOKS!! 


NUMBER ONE:
I am reading A LOT of books right now. I don't even know how this happened. I'll list them in no particular order:
Shipbreaker Paolo Bacigalupi - okay, I actually just finished this one the other day, so it's not really current. It was recommended by Hank Green in a video a few months ago and I just got around to reading it. A bit more YA-ish than I normally prefer, but it was really good and had some really interesting world-building. 
The Moses Quest by Will Adams - really good so far, but I've just started it, so I haven't formed an opinion yet. 
Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher - The second book in a series called "The Codex Alera." JIMBUTCHERJIMBUTCHERJIMBUTCHER AHHHHHH
Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson - I've never read any of her stuff before, so I found this and started it, but then I kind of put it down and didn't pick it up again. But I'm still technically in the middle of reading it, and I still plan on finishing it. Eventually. 
The Aeneid by Me - just rereading my own work. You know how it is. Always room for improvement!
Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose - it's just so totally awesome that she's a writer and her last name is "Prose." That just blows my mind. 
I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert - I love this guy. He's hilarious. And totally not a liberal... ;)
The American Pageant - lol no comment. I finished the first chapter today!! 

NUMBER TWO:
Reading Camp was amazing!!! My kids were great, and they all improved so much! It's awesome to see how much of a difference a little bit of one-on-one attention can do for a kid's reading skills, and also just overall confidence. They all grew so much over the course of one week, and I am so proud. It was really hard work, and I got no sleep at all, and one of my campers wet the bed and I had to do the laundry which was NOT FUN, and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes, but everything was worth it. I also bonded with the other counselors. We had a blast during our time off (which was like 9:30 pm onwards every night) and we spent the wee hours of the morning watching YouTube videos, eating junk food, giving each other straddle-massages (because any sense of decency disappears when you're at camp), attempting to free-draw maps of Africa, and playing Connect Four.

I love Reading Camp. :)  


Have any of you seen the YouTube video called Old Gregg? Don't look it up. This is a cult that you DON'T want to be in. 
At first I thought it was a sea anemone... the second half of this quote isn't appropriate for the 6LCF blog

NOO DON'T GO LOOK IT UP ON YOUTUBE IT'LL SCAR YOU FOR LIFE I SWEAR!!! 
do it.
NUMBER THREE:
I swear I had a number three, but now I've forgotten what it was.

Okay, that is all. 

Best wishes!
Virgil 

2 comments:

  1. He finally announced the title? Took him long enough, that's for sure.

    I can actually freehand the outline of Africa pretty well; I just don't know where all countries go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was third point maybe that your BIRTHDAY IS FREAKING TODAY OMG HOW COULD YOU EVEN FORGET SUCH A MOMENTUOUS DAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete